86: “Map is a design pattern” with special guest Daniel Steinberg
Listen using: Apple PodcastsOvercastCastroPocket CastsRSS
Daniel Steinberg joins John to discuss how various functional programming patterns can be adopted in Swift, and how many of those patterns can be found in both the standard library and in frameworks like Combine and SwiftUI.
- Bitrise: Fast, stable and highly customizable continuous integration. Automatically build, test and distribute your app on every single commit that you make. Get started for free at bitrise.io/swift.
- Instabug: Bug, crash, and performance monitoring for iOS apps. Go to instabug.com/sundell to learn more about Instabug’s new App Performance Monitoring feature, and to start your free trial.
- Daniel on Twitter
- John on Twitter
- Daniel’s books on Swift, SwiftUI and functional programming
- Function builders
- The Core Animation programming guide
- Map, flatMap and compactMap
- One of Daniel’s talks about map and functional programming
- The Gang of Four book on design patterns
- The Result type
- The implementation of the map function
- First class functions
- Passing key paths as functions
- The previous episode with James Thomson
- The delegate pattern
- Managing dependencies using the Swift Package Manager
- Intro and outro music by Dariusz Dziuk